Wednesday, December 7, 2011

BC Field Visit Wrap Up

This assignment required us to go out and visit the various construction sites that are scattered throughout the Virginia Tech campus, and make observations and at time suggestions on what could be done better.  This assignment excited me for one reason, that being I was able to see the systems I learned in class being utilized in the field. From caissons to form work to safety to excavation, I was able to see something concrete in the field.  I am a visual learner and it helped me understand the processes that were explained in class when I could see them out in the field.  Another great aspect to this assignment was that it brought multiple courses together out in the field.  At one site I saw excavation which I learned in my BC class, and at the same time I noticed that there was grading going on which I learned in my CEE Measurements class.  Overall this assignment enhanced my ability to retain the knowledge that I had gained within the classroom and brought a greater appreciation to my curriculum by showing me that many of these classes are intertwined.

No comments:

Post a Comment