Monday, December 5, 2011

BC Field Visit 9

BC_fieldvisit_9



This site really shocked me.  I recognized the contractor from a project up on north main that was completed at the end of last year.  I never noticed that nobody on site had PPE.  When I say they had no PPE they had nothing, in fact some were even wearing camouflage.  Looking back on last year it was the same thing, none of their workers had any PPE.  This project was interesting and really showed the difference between a small contractor and one like Skanska, which is massive.  As you can see above I was hesitant to take pictures of this site just incase a manager on site would think that i was trying to catch their works without the proper safety equipment. This seems like a big risk not only for the workers but for also the company.  To buy the proper equipment for the workers seems like a much better investment than what could happen if OCEA or somebody was injured. This site is a good small example of what is going on with skanska and its much easier to see what is going on around the site.  The excavator working in the picture is digging for utilities while somebody was measuring the depth.  This is something I just learned in Measurements Class CEE 2814.  I think that this is the best part of this assignment is that it helps bring together more than just BC classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment