Monday, December 5, 2011

BC Field Visit 7

BC_fieldvisit_7



I first saw this site from the top of the parking garage when performing a site visit at the Barton Malow construction site.  Seeing as we had just learned about wood frame construction I thought it would be appropriate to include one in a field visit.  At the job site there was nobody working but I was able to see various aspects of the wood frame such as cripple, jack, and king studs, along with sills, souls, and headers.  These can be seen in the top picture.  It was an interesting change in pace from the steel structures that have been going up around campus.  What interests me the most about wood frame is the ability to customize to  a smaller degree.  It seems that its easier to alter a design to make the structure look one way or the other and that ability to do this is what really interests me in the residential side of construction.

No comments:

Post a Comment